Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:28:02 -0400
From:         John Smith <johns3539@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      update on overheating issues (by request)

Hi Folks,

By request, here=92s an update on the =93overheating issues=94 I reported y= esterday. To start the investigation, I warmed up the engine and double-ch= ecked that the coolant system was bled correctly by slowly unscrewing the r= adiator bleeder nut. No hissing air, just a bit of coolant that dribbled o= ut. Next, while the engine was warm, I opened up the front and rear heater= valves and turned the fans up to high. The Temp went from about 1/2 to al= most 1/4. Then, I checked the oil filler cap for foam=85 nothing there. I= would also like to do a dye test, but ignorant ol=92 me don=92t know nothi= ng about that, and I couldn=92t find it in the archives=85 can someone tell= me what this is exactly and where you get the materials to do such a thing= ?

By the way, there was no coolant bubbling out of the overflow cap in the ti= me I was doing the testing. So far, I'm hoping these tests lead to the con= clusion that the thermostat and/or radiator need replacing. =20

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

Best,

John 91 Westy

Hi Folks,

I've got a 91 Westy with about 5k on a rebuilt engine from NW Connecting Rod in Seattle. Everything is running great, except for a mild overheating problem. I say mild because nothing has blown up or seized yet, and I haven't encountered massive amounts of steam or smoke coming from the engine compartment. Here's what's happening:

During normal conditions in the last 750 miles or so, the temp gauge is running at about 5/8. When I use the A/C, the temp gauge goes up to =EF=BF= =BD, and the light begins to blink. Same thing happens when I'm climbing steep hills, or in heavy stop-and-go traffic (The good thing is that the fan seems to be turning on normally when it reaches this level). When I pull over, let it cool down and inspect the van, occasionally I'll see the overfill tank bubbling out very light amounts of coolant. I've also taken off the grill and felt around my radiator for any cool spots, which I did not find.

I should also mention that the temp light will sometimes start blinking under normal conditions as well, meaning that the temp gauge is at about =EF=BF=BD, driving on a flat road.

I recently took the van into the shop for a coolant system inspection. There was a small coolant hose that needed to be replaced, which they took care of. After that they replaced the coolant, bled the system and pressure tested it- all came back normal, but it's still behaving in the same manner.

From searching the archives, I know that this could be caused by a number of things, including the water pump, thermostat, and radiator, and god forbid, leaking head gaskets. But here's what else I know:

*The fan switch and sensor have all been replaced very recently. It doesn't seem like I'm having any trouble in this department.

*A good portion of the cooling system hoses have also recently been replaced, although the radiator has not.

*The 80 degree Thermostat and water pump were replaced 5k ago when the rebuilt engine was put in, although I suppose these could be faulty.

The only thing I can tell from all of these observations is that the coolant sensor is going bad, but from what I've read, that's rarely the case. I've also thought of the worst case scenario where the head gaskets need to be redone, and I have to go back to NW Connecting Rod and tell them to live up to their 12k warranty. Before I go this far, though, does anyone have any ideas on what else to check or remedy? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

John 91 Westy