Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:53:34 -0500
From:         Robert Cardo <rrecardo@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: update on overheating issues (by request)
Comments: To: John Smith <johns3539@HOTMAIL.COM>

Next, while the engine was warm, I opened up the front and rear heater valves and turned the fans up to high. The Temp went from about 1/2 to almost 1/4.>>

John,

Two more simple things to do before you make any final decisions on what's wrong with the cooling system.

Take the Van for a high speed ride ( leave both heater valves on ) and get stuck in a traffic jam.

If the radiator fan coming on doesn't drop the temp pretty quick, turn the heater fans both on.

If the temp drop fast you have a clogged radiator.

Now to further develop on what's going on, beg, borrow, steal a infared temp gauge, and with both upper and lower grills off hit the coils with it in several different places all over when it's good and hot from driving it on the road.

I know you did the palm test already, and found no cool spots, but I'll almost bet you have an area in that radiator that the coolant isn't flowing properly, and giving you hotter than normal temperature readings.

One last thought.

My Van was doing the same exact things you are mentioning, and my infared temp gauge told me the whole story right now.

A new radiator cured the problem.

The Van never gets above the half way mark.

Your's is just a classic, and common case of poor circulation.

Good Luck,