Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:14:11 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SssssshhhhhhhhhhTHUNK!
Comments: To: j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 9/20/2005 5:23:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM writes:

>>Has anyone found a way to make the closing of that sliding door a little >>more civilized?

Yes, to avoid the SssssssshhhhhhhhhTHUNK I keep a tank of human waste in my bus! I've been collecting it for years, mostly from celebrities. (LOL)

What's with the "tank of human waste", Mike!!? Geez. You really know how to spoil a trip. What's a Gatoraid bottle of pee among friends?

Truth is I hear you. I don't really want all that waste in my bus. But FWIW I recommend a Gatoraid bottle if you're travelling solo and gonna spend a night in some rest stop on the side of Route 80. I use that kind of thing when I roll in for the night so I don't have to mess with the locals when I roll in to the Rest Stop and park at 2 a.m. for a few hours sleep. And I'm talking about the kind of locals who hang in the rest stop men's rooms. Because even at 2 a.m. after 18 hours of driving I can sure look pretty--in a rest stop kind of way.

OK, but we're in a campsite now. I have figured out that you can close the slider "quietly" from the inside by sliding the door slowly to the "almost just-about closed" position, but not yet latched, and then grabbing that handle on the inside rear of the door--the one that seems like it's there for no reason-- and pull inward. You'll still get a "CLICK" boardering on a "CLUNK" but it does eliviate the Sssssssssshhhhhhh and most of the THUNK.

From the outside the same thing kind of works. You can just use your butt or someone elses if they're willing to lean into the rear of the slider once it's almost just-about closed.

Having said that, I have to confess sometime I just climb through the cockpit and out one of the front doors. Although often while camping the cockpit area is so full of storage of the stuff that was in the back and my Tanks of Human Waste that I have to use the slider.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA