Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:20:36 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Exciting things happening at Van-Again!
Comments: To: rrecardo@WEBTV.NET

I've walked out of automotive repair shops that would not give me a written estimate. I've walked out of Automobile Dealership Parts stores because their price was too high. A VW Dealer parts guy charged me $85.00 for two Air Cooled lifters ( I never bought even a washer from him after that but have bought from other local VW Dealer parts counters). I protested the price at the Porsche Parts counter and they gave me 30% discount on the $97.00 part. I've walked out of lawn mower WARRANTY repair shops that said it would cost $90.00 to replace the starter cord on my 90 day old (still under warranty) Troy Built line trimmer. I junked the trimmer and bought a competitive brand for $95.00 with the same CC engine and features.(Warranty! Don't ever believe that you have any warranty. Even if it's printed right there I dough you have any warranty on anything that you buy noe days. A New Car warranty is a little different but you'll still have to fight for your warranty repairs.) I returned a Troy Built Lawn mower to Lowe's when it got to be hard starting after about ten uses in 30 days. I got full credit. I returned a Husqvarna line trimmer to Sears / K mart when it was new (within 24 hours) because the exhaust blew so hot on my arm it couldn't be used. They said "Lucky you got here within 24 hours you saved a restocking charge". I walk out of auto parts stores if they pick up the phone while I'm standing in front of them with cash to purchase parts I have on their counter. You just have to remember who the customer is and assert your right to be advised of costs, procedures etc. If they don't cooperate then it's easy to see you're not important enough to be their customer. I had one independent Porsche repair shop quote me $275.00 just to charge my A/C system with R134a. I bought a set of gauges for $79.00, a case of R134a from Sam's club, borrowed a vacuum pump and recharged the system myself. Total cost of $102.00 and I have a set of gauges to sell and 9 cans of R134a left. Many times you can do the job ten times for what the mechanic wants for the job. That's what Hayes, Bentley, Tom Wilson's and Muir Books are all about, troubleshooting and repairing your own car. There will always be jobs you can't do or you just haven't got the time to do. At that point you just have to trust somebody in a professional shop to do the work. Everybody can't be an accomplished mechanic or have the stamina to put up with the nastiness of automotive grease and repair procedures so you just have to save a few dollars wherever you can and then bite the bullet and have the pro's work on the things you don't want to do to maintain your vehicle. For those that always have your car repaired in shops I can say this in your favor, I've bought many tools and keep many tools, the numbers of dollars spent on tools are in the thousands. But I'm one of those guys that can fix almost anything mechanical even if I don't want to.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Cardo" <rrecardo@WEBTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 9:28 AM Subject: Re: Exciting things happening at Van-Again!