Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:56:29 -0700
From:         "C. R. Rowland" <cr_rowland@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      FS '85 Westfalia in Milwaukee/Madison Area

I have a 1985 Westy I am reluctantly putting up on the auction block. It is a Manual 5spd and has close to 150K miles. I have driven it regularly;e.g., 360 mile round trip two weekends ago. I am posting this on the list first to see if there is any interest before placing it on eBay. It is located in zip code 53058 and can be viewed during the week at 53705 by request. A link to pictures is below.

This was a project that just never got buy-in from the executive staff (tr. CFO [tr. wife]) and hence is being dropped. I have owned it since 1999 when I bought it from a school teacher in Columbus, Ohio--he claims to have bought it from a retired couple in the Columbus area. The VIN will be provided to serious buyers.

While it is in great condition for a Midwest van it needs attention in the following areas: 1. It has AC but does not blow cold 2. About time for new tires 3. There is seam rust, and minor rust in other areas, which should be addressed quickly. 4. Some window gaskets are dry and cracked in areas. 5. The propane tank is currently removed and needs to be modified with a new adapter in order to be filled at a filling station. 6. There is some minor damage to the fiberglass on the lid in the rear. 7. the tailpipe *just* fell off (rusted off) but the exhaust system is 1 yr new, just didn't replace the tailpipe at the time. 8. It is not a cosmetically "perfect" Westy but looks damn good and gets comments wherever I take it. It has all the amenities and parts;e.g. rear screen, window covers, both ice trays are still in the fridge (worth $25 alone apparently), etc.

What I have done: 1. Just finished replacing the canvas. 2. Replaced bits and pieces;e.g., a stove knob, the skylight, etc. 3. Just spent $500 on a full brake job using the kits from Bus Depot and outsourced labor. 4. New exhaust system

What works: 1. Tested the sink and pump for the water--works! 2. All electric is good. 2. Not tested the propane functions of the stove or fridge. (Had to get a filler cap for the propane tank first)

Follow the below link and click on Tinkerbell. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cr_rowland/my_photos

I can provide additional pictures by request.

I prefer payment to my PayPal account when the deal is done.

Thank you, Chris R. Rowland