Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:42:58 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: '91 SVX (flat 6) Syncro for sale on samba

>I was just looking at this bus for sale with it's 6 cyl Subaru engine. Makes >you kind of need one. Although I'm not going for it any time soon. > >How common is the 6 cyl conversion? I assume not very, since this is the >first I've seen, but maybe...

There are a few in the US. Smallcars in Seattle has done a number of conversions. There is at least one such van in Australia and mine is in (extremely slow) progress.

>I see Marty Schnieders' Porsche 6 cyl. Syncro around town (LA,CA) here, and >I've seen a couple more. (He used to sell the MSDS Porsche 6 conversion out >of his Glendale shop which I think he discontinued.(?))

Marty has an honesty problem...

>Anyway just curious about the subaru 6 and how easy/difficult the >conversion/fit is.

The off-the-shelf Kennedy Subaru adaptor parts (flywheel, clutch, adaptor plate) fit either the EJ fours or the EG six. Mounts are available or get one made (as I did). Exhausts are available or get one made (as I will). The stock VW starter will do just fine as long as it's healthy. Transmission failure becomes a potential issue. Porsche transmissions can be adapted; the very same Kennedy adaptor plate fits these too, though the clutch & flywheel are different.

There is an e-mail list called SVXVanagon. -- Regards Andrew