Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:19:25 -0700
From:         Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exciting things happening at Van-Again!
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@busdepot.com>

I got a bone stock 1983 7 passenger Air cooled with a tired engine (stock though), sloppy transmission (stock though), and skinny little tires (stock though), for sale, say $12,000 since it's not a syncro. It also has one of them stock california little square boxes hanging off the exhaust system. Make that $13,000. Wait, I need to replace the vvoltage regulator in the dash... $12,975 is my base line offer.

Pass this on to the Pop Top Heavens Gate people. I'll be waiting by my phone.

tim in san jose

On 9/15/05, The Bus Depot <vanagon@busdepot.com> wrote: > > > Please George prove me wrong, find me a top condition, > > modified or otherwise, low mileage syncro camper for $6000 > > and I will pay you a $1000 finders fee when I buy it > > I'll get in line for that one too, George! :-) > > > As far as the dealer trying to low-ball the guy, that is why God > > created used car dealers in the first place, so, as I said before, > > what's the beef? It is common knowledge that any time you try > > to sell a car to a dealer, he's going to beat you to death. > > I agree with George here. What do you know - the used car dealer is acting > like a used car dealer! Yes, they made up an excuse to lowball Chris > ("nobody wants modified vehicles"), so they could buy his van cheap and > sell > it high. And not just Chris. I've seen posts elsewhere from others who had > the same experience - the year, model, etc. is "not what people are > looking > for" when they're buying, but suddenly more desirable if they have one to > sell. But why is this a shocker? Used car dealers are not known for being > very straightforward or upfront about what your vehicle is really worth on > the retail market. Of course if they bought cars for what they were really > worth, and sold them for what they would really worth, they'd break even. > So > they all play games - some less ethical than others - in order to buy > below > market value and sell above it. > > > There was no "standing bid" for a $6000 syncro westy! > > Here's where things get much more murky, IMO. According to their email to > Chris, "We contacted our list of buyers and we currently have a buyer at > 6,000.00. The money is on file with us at this time." This goes far beyond > just finding an excuse to make a lowball offer, which all used car dealers > do. This clearly implied that they were not acting as a used car dealer at > all - they weren't offering to buy the van themselves for general resale, > but rather to broker the transaction for a specific individual who had > made > a $6000 offer and even given them the money already. In fact their website > also implies this, offering Westy owners free market appraisals and "free > listings to our database of customers." Nowhere on their site do they > actually offer to buy your Westy - just to "help buyers and sellers find > eachother." If this is the case, and they really are finding $6000 Syncro > Westies for lucky buyers, count me in! (Okay, I'll buy one from them and > one from George. :-) On the other hand, if they are actually a used car > dealer that buys Westies, then why not just say so, instead of going to > such > extrordinary lengths to imply something else? > > I don't know anyone at Poptop Heaven, so my comments are only relavent to > what I have read. But I do know and respect Ken Wilford. I can't imagine > that he would allow himself to be a participant in any ethically > questionable business practices with any party. His reputation on the list > has always been excellent, and deservedly so. > > - Ron Salmon > The Bus Depot, Inc. > www.busdepot.com <http://www.busdepot.com> > (215) 234-VWVW > > _____________________________________________ > Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT >

-- Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in which case, you ain't got there yet.