Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:27:51 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Powered Vanagons
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com>

The 1.9 is much better than the 1.6. It is still a bit of a dirty smelly beast and every 100K will be an accomplishment. Another problem with these is the cam bearing saddles in the head wearing out. There are no bearings, just the cam against the aluminum.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Arnott [mailto:jrasite@eoni.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 11:24 PM To: Dennis Haynes Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Diesel Powered Vanagons

On Tuesday, September 20, 2005, at 07:14 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote:

> Unless you are looking to modify it with say 1.9 TDI or otherwise > tinker, I'd steer clear. They are grossly under powered, no AC or power > steering. The like to crack heads, blow head gaskets, and destroy > rings. > > > Dennis

Or a 1.9 NA or TD. About a $3k fix, but then it's fixed.

I've had mine for three years and unless something really interesting comes along, it's my 'forever van.'

Sleeps my bride and I quite comfortably, Has enough room to change one's mind in and gets (one year average) 26.94 mpg. If things get REALLY bad, we could live in it.

Mine hasn't cracked its head, though it has blown a head gasket after sticking a thermostat on a 105 deg. F day. Took all of $50 and four hours to fix it. I consider the lack of power steering and AC to be a benefit. Two less things to fail. (It's a flippin' VW, not a Lexus.) I've not seen destroyed rings either.

As far as being 'grossly underpowered"; I suppose that it's all a matter of perspective. Having left SoCal behind 10 years ago, I no longer feel the urgent need to run at 80-95 mph on an eight lane superslab. Living in rural Oregon lends itself well to the power characteristics of the 1.9 NA (naturally aspirated,. Read, unturbocharged) motor. I can drive the 300 miles to Portland and average 60 mph. Filling up at the other end for less than $30 makes the extra 40 minutes it takes me to get there seem rather trivial. Besides, 60-65 is plenty fast to drive through the Columbia Gorge.

If I wanted to increase the speed to 65-75 it's a simple matter to turbo the NA motor. But for me, the NA is fine. I ain't in that big of hurry. And besides, in the three years that I've owned The Orphan, I've watch its value go from about $3k to about $7.5k. If you want a diesel, you better get it soon.

Like I said. I may well be my forever van.

(If you're interested in learning more, there are a few VW diesel lists about. Mark Drillock and I admin the diesel-vanagon list on Yahoogroups. There you'll find those that have seen the light.)

Jim

"We need a revolution." "Keep saying that and we'll need a lawyer, assuming they let us have one."

Jan Steinman <www.Bytesmiths.com>