Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:53:44 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Powered Vanagons

Dennis,

I'm going to have to disagree at least just a little bit. I drive my 90 waterboxer less often than my diesel westy, because I get great mileage in the diesel and it's competent and fun to drive.

First, you're talking about something very subjective here. The diesel vanagon, for this particular owner, might be just the ticket, or it might be a poor choice. But saying that a diesel owner would only be happy with a 1.9 (till he needs parts) or that he needs a TDI just ain't so in many cases. Including my own, to some extent.

I say to some extent because I haven't had my diesel westy for hundreds of thousands of miles so I can't personally vouch for the fact that they can run a very very long time, but the PO ran mine for 224000 miles before I got it.

I build a new TD engine up this summer and it is a pleasure to drive. I'm getting up to 28.1 mpg, and it now flies over hills it once struggled up. Because the engine is in good shape and the injector pump rebuilt, it no longer is smoky and barely smelly (what car smells GOOD, anyway?).

But it wasn't all that bad even without the turbo engine. The old tired engine did smoke a bit and burn oil, but the new one doesn't.

How long will it stay that way? I don't know, but it isn't that hard or expensive to do.

A lot of cars have no bearings, including honda engines that run for hundreds of thousands of miles. Why choose that feature to pick on? I have about five good 1.6 diesel heads, all good (I think) so they can't be that self-destruction or they wouldn't be so common. And not one of them has a cam bearing problem that I can discern.

Anyway, I love driving mine and would love to have a plain van (they get along better with the NA engine because they are lighter than the westy) since I have this spare diesel NA lying around to rebuild.

If the original poster wants to see what diesel owners think about their vanagons, come on over to the Yahoo! list for diesel vanagons.

I don't think in the entire archives you'll find a single post about a cam bearing problem.

BTW bus depot sells cam bearings for the diesels if you just have to have them.

And yes, the power of the 1.9 or 1.9 TD (or TDI/TD hybrid that Karl Mullendorf creates) would be a boon. It just wouldn't be cost-effective for most of us, compared to what these durable little engines provide for the money.

Jim