Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:04:50 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exciting things happening at Van-Again!

This is a tough dilemma. On one side, some will say that the mechanic should be paid for how much time he put into the repair, others will say that a good mechanic should get paid for the job and not just for the amount of time spent on the job.

It reminds me of when I was a lowly wrench at a VW shop (Harvey's Automotive in Leucadia, CA) in the '80s. After learning all the little tricks, I was able to do a Vanagon clutch in about an hour and a half. IIRC, book time on a clutch was around 4 hours and that's about how long it took the other mechanics that were not as familiar with the Vanagon to do the job.

So... do I get the same amount of labor as the other mechanics (4 hrs)? Does the customer get the job for less because I was able to do the job in half of book time?

Or... is it that the job pays 4 hours and that's how much you get regardless of how long it takes?

I understand that diagnostics are a completely different animal, however, the same problem presents itself. A highly skilled mechanic may be able to diagnose a problem in 1/4 the time of an average mechanic. The highly skilled guy probably spent many unpaid hours getting to that level of proficiency (the same time the average guy is currently spending). Should he get paid for his extra knowledge or just for the 5 minutes he spent on the problem?

Interesting issues...

Cheers,

Jeff www.vanagonparts.com