Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:06:27 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot auxillary battery hook up kit #1738-cant figure it
              out

I used a ground wire that was larger than the supply wire from the relay, and larger than the 2 wires that go from the battery to the westy fuse box. I oriented the negative post of the battery to be near the drivers door. then,I drilled a hole in existing sheet metal to attach the ground. The supply currect to the battery is not governed by the ground wire(I think), but by the supply wire size, as long as it is not smaller than the supply wire.From the battery, 2 larger sized wires to supply the refrigerator and other consumers exists.I also sized the ground wire at the negative post to allow enough current to flow to these devices.My main need for going to the auxillery battery is to power my 3 computer fans overnite.My fans seem to run about 30 percent of the time.I thought that I may have a dead battery any morning that I used the refrigerator. Cant sleep like that.This, even though my radio was left on(no volume) for 20 days while the van was being painted, and still started.I am currently trying to figure out where all this excess refrig heat is coming from.I am getting closer to this answer or its'solution.Using the frig on 12V didnt occur to me at the time I bought the kit, as I never use this 12V mode.However, I may experiment with this to save fossel fuelon a long trip now that I have this battery. Once again, I used a Giasson battery block to hold down the battery. For safety, I put a non conductive cover over the positive terminal incase someone steps on the battery cover lid and makes contact with the batttery(hot foot!).I used a new relay because the relay that VW installed started buzzing a year ago, and I thought that it may be fried.Also, there is no provision for a battery vent in the battery compartment under the drivers seat.I wanted to use my best battery for cranking, but cannot do this because no vent exists for the weaker battery.Does anybody know how long an auxillery battery will last ? Forever?