Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:08:50 -0400
From:         "Adam H. Behle" <tikiman2@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Road rage cause--Diesel powered vanagons - Driving Slow

I've been flipped off going 65 in the slow lane and 80 in the fast lane-it does not seem to matter how fast you are actually going and what lane you are using. My theory is that my one fingered saluters have a preconcieved notion that Vanagons are slow, whether they really are or zipping along just fine at 80 with other cars, and therefore feel compelled to salute when they come across such beasts. At least in San Diego.

As for my beast, I have since slowed to 65 tops and use the "drive it like a diesel" method to help save gas. Went from a supremely crappy 14.7 mpg with AC on to just under 17 mpg in the "slow" lane with a 2.1 WBX with 162,000 miles in mixed city/highway commute. I'd love to squeak out another MPG or two, but my carpooling friends might mutiny on the Westy.

I love these things and the zen-like patience they teach, but I admit to occaisional bouts of an irritable road rage-esque condition I get when I drive my wife's Volvo T5 and run into less than perfect drivers (not literally running into them though). But this feeling never results in honking, gunfire, single digit gestures, brawling, knife fights, Greco-roman wrestling, etc-and is never directed towards drivers of our loaf shaped beasts.

Take it easy on the roads folks,

Adam

ps-I forgot...I did rage out a little bit once when a snooty couple in a black V12 Mercedes sideswiped my white Westy with their black mirror which left a nasty horozontial skid mark. I buffed it out and considered reporting them as a hit and run, but decided to let karma nail them in the ass instead. Whatever works...