Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:25:26 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: OT Hurricanes--really an accident?

I think that the beaches of this world should be devoid of anything but the occasional camper or bather. It's wealthy folks, taking that big old second home deduction, and the gubbermint and insurers guaranteeing that roads to their properties will rebuild in case of a disaster, that put all that crap out there to begin with. I was born in a major gulf coast city and I can attest to the fact that there was nothing on those beaches then.

As far as living below sea level, no comment on that.

What we're really talking about here is infrastructure for oil and gas, not people. People will cease to live on the beach when insurers won't insure them, which is coming soon. But what will we do, move all these pipelines to NY harbor? What about the rigs themselves? Even if we become 60% less dependent on oil and get nary a drop from other countries, the gulf is basically where our oil comes from. And it's where all our oil is processed. And it's where hurricanes hit most often.

If it keeps up, it's going to be a big, big problem. Not just with price, but with periodic disruption. We all need some backup plan to get around for short periods of time, at least a week or two I'd say. And not just for gasoline, I'd say.

I'm not advocating carrying around a gasoline supply in our vanagons, but I do think that people on this list are generally more resourceful than the general public.

Someone on here will be able to recommend a gasoline stabilizer. Is there such a thing for diesel?

Jim