Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:29:43 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: OT Hurricanes--really an accident? A fryeday tale- not
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>

You have to remember that we've always had hurricane season every year. We've never skipped a year. As for Galveston Island it's just a matter of greed that the island is still populated after the 1900 Hurricane. There is very little there besides a boardwalk on the seawall about five miles long and lots of beer joints along a beach separated by swim gear shops and souvenir shops. (the island is 30 miles long but the seawall is only about 5 miles long) The Maffa used the Island as a gambling Haven back in the 30s because it was "Outside the law" with only the one dangerous bridge for island access. Galveston has an interesting history that includes Priates, Mafia and many colorful characters in it's history. The low lying area around Galveston contains lots of houses up on stilts or telephone pole mountings this tells me that the owners are saying "Yes I know it's coming". But they still buy the houses in that sweltering mosquito basin for some insane reason. As much as 80% of these beach homes are weekender homes. Although Galveston has a sea wall the tidal surge will bypass the seawall, surrounding the island and enter from the backside where it's just marshes. The place needs a good Police department during the fair weather months but it falls dead calm in the cold weather months. The area West of Galveston island along the only coast road has very space population for the next 200 miles over to Corpus Christi TX. As you drive West on the coast road you'll see many abandoned A frame houses and squatters shacks. The most ludicrous thing is the small huddles of beach homes with a sand berm pushed up to protect them from the sea. The sea breeze erodes these berms every month and they must be pushed back up as the beach erodes and leaves the houses farther from the sea or the tide brings in sand stirred up by ocean going barge traffic and deposits it on the beach along with tar balls, floating plastic bottles, pieces of Styrofoam coolers and any number of condoms, sanitary napkins and the ever present disposable beer bottles. With every incoming tide you get another ton of trash to clean off your private beach but the tar balls remain nearly forever, staining your feet and stinking up the beach. With about eight refineries with 20 miles I guess Galveston Island with fresh sear breezes and the surround marsh residential developments offer some relief from the never ending stink of the refinery processes. The loss of the near to shore offshore drilling rigs and damage to the many refineries could be fifty times the value of the structures on Galveston island. Most of the oil related structures are insured but we will be paying higher insurance rates forever and higher gas prices for their replacement.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Keezer" <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 12:42 AM Subject: Re: OT Hurricanes--really an accident? A fryeday tale- not