Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:21:10 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: - 83.5-85 Vanagon Stainless Coolant Pipes!

> > > OK, I give up. I had to Google search FUD. "Fear, Uncertainty, & > Doubt" is what suspect it means.

Yep. It's from the old IBM days, when IBM salesmen would sow the seeds of Fear, Uncertainty, & Doubt among those considering using a competitors product. The idea, of course, was to persuade them to go with safe IBM gear rather than with competitors' equipment. This implicit coercion was traditionally accomplished by promising that Good Things would happen to people who stuck with IBM, but Dark Shadows loomed over the future of competitors' equipment or software. (lifted from the Jargon File <http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/F/FUD.html>)

Or is that some new age way to spell > sustenance?

If you're a dog trying to lure a cat into a dryer, that's probably the case. <http://www.store.yahoo.com/coolrags/catfudcofmug.html>

Are any of you people going to Van-O-Rama tomorrow? 'Cuz if you are, I > promise to bring sum fud.

That better not be "Fudd beer", 'cause I only drink DUFF. What, are you from Shelbyville? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duff_Beer>