Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:58:01 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Roundtrip from VA to Yukon -- 77 days and 14,000 miles
Comments: To: "Weibel, Pius" <weibel@isgs.uiuc.edu>

Pius,

I just did a quick web search and found one at this Camping World link:

"http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=6675&tab=desc"

Harold

On 9/22/05, Weibel, Pius <weibel@isgs.uiuc.edu> wrote: > > Harold, > Thanks for the narrative of your great trip! I would like to try it > sometime. > I am interested in your battery powered refrig fan. Can you describe > what it like so I can try to find one. > Pius > 85 vanajetta westy > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of Harold Teer > Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 9:11 AM > To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Subject: Roundtrip from VA to Yukon -- 77 days and 14,000 miles > > My wife and I recently returned from an incredible 14,000+ mile and 77 > day > round-trip from Harrisonburg, VA to Dawson City, Yukon and wanted to > share > our experience. > > A trip of this magnitude in a 14 year old vanagon would have been pretty > scary had it not been for the knowledge that had we had problems, there > was > the entire vanagon list community to call on for help. While I am seldom > post to the list, I have religiously read most of the posts since I > purchased our van in 1996, archive many messages, and have gained a lot > of > ideas and knowledge from the list. > > We were fortunate to have a van that had been properly maintained by the > previous owner and I have tried to do the same over the years. Before > leaving on the trip, the van had a good tuneup with new fuel filter, > plugs, > plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. The tires were the Michelin > Agilis > with plenty of tread. I had Ken Wilford give the van a good going over > and > he changed the belts, fuel lines, upper ball joints, and a few > protective > rubber boots. We left with 90,000 miles on the van and returned with > 104,000+ . I am happy/lucky to say that we had absolutely no mechanical > problems on the trip. > > Maintenance during the trip? I changed the oil and oil filter twice > (Mobile1 > 15-50 and Mahle filter) and had the tires rotated and balanced at Costco > Stores in Washington State. Every morning, I checked the coolant level > and > the oil level and several times during the trip I checked the condition > of > the belts and the hoses and looked for any oil or coolant leaks. I > carried a > few tools that were enough for my mechanical ability and an extra > distributor cap, rotor, oil filters, and belts. OK, just in case, I also > carried duct tape, marine epoxy, wire, etc. > > Several years ago, I had the Yokohama Y370G tires on the van and loved > the > stability but when they were no longer available I went with the Agilis > from > Michelin. The Agilis were great--I do not find them noisy and their > toughness provided a lot of security on many of the rough roads. No > flats or > problems. > > Fridge--we ran it continuously for the 77 days with the exception of > turning > it off as required on a few of the ferries and when refilling the > propane > tank. Highly recommended addition is a D cell battery powered fan to > circulate air in the fridge. While I also have a wired internal fan for > circulation, I think the battery powered one sitting at the bottom of > the > fridge did the most useful work. Years ago, I purchased it at some RV > place. > > Our Route? We made a deliberate decision to avoid as much as possible > the > interstate highways on the way out West and to not use them until we > were in > Washington State on the way home. The trip route was not planned and we > made > decisions as we drove on where to spend each night. All we knew is that > we > wanted to spend a lot of time in British Columbia. > > From Virginia, we took smaller roads through WV, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN and > ended up spending some great time along the western shore of Lake > Superior > before taking highway 2 through MN, ND, MT, to Glacier National Park. > After > a great hike to Iceberg Lake and a night in the van, we hoped to drive > the > Road to the Sun through GNP. But, it was cold, rained all night, and the > Road to the Sun was closed because of 8" of snow during the night---oh > well, > another year for that one. Then onward to the North Cascades NP and to > Olympic NP. > > After about 20 days on the road, we took the ferry from Port Angeles to > Victoria and spent 3 nights in a hotel in Victoria. Those were the only > nights we didn't spend in the van until we had been on the road for > about 70 > days and were on the way home in the US on the interstates. > > Before our trip, Shawn Wright who lives on Vancouver Island, provided a > lot > of advice on things to see and do on the island--thanks Shawn!. Thanks > to > his advice and that of numerous helpful people along the way, we went to > China Beach, Mystic Beach, and Long Beach. We rode a working boat out of > Port Alberni, a float plane trip out of Tofino, and a whale watching > boat > out of Telegraph cove before we got on a ferry from Port Hardy to Prince > Rupert and then a ferry up to Skagway. We drove to Atlin, and then up to > Dawson City before heading back down to BC to Liard River, Fort Nelson, > Prince George, and Jasper. We hiked in Mount Robson Provencial Park, > Jasper > National Park, Yoho NP, Kootney NP, Glacier and Mt. Revelstock NP. If > you > are a hiker, you must hike to Jakes Pass in Mt. Revelstock > NP--incredibly > beautiful hike. > > People along the way couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. At > each > campsite, people gave us recommendations and we sifted through all the > advice and made decisions on where to head next. Frankly, we never > intended > to go into the Yukon, but on the ferry from Port Hard to Prince Rupert, > people convinced us to take the ferry from Prince Rupert to Skagway and > continue north to Dawson City. While we were glad we did that, there is > more > than enough to do in BC to take up all of your time. > > Where did we camp? Mostly in Provincial or National parks and we never > made > a reservation. The trick in the most popular parks was to get there > early in > the day, however we only found about 3 that were really crowded and most > of > the Provincial parks were surprisingly uncrowded. In a few cases, we > stayed > at commercial campgrounds--in Dawson City and at Watson Lake we stayed > at > ones that provided wireless Internet service and we were able to send > email, > check on family, upload a few pictures, etc. > > Over the years, we added or changed a few things to the van which made > it > more livable on this trip: > A commercial floor mat for the rear. It is one like you find inside or > outside office/store doors. It reaches from the cabinet area to the > sliding > door with only about 1/2 unprotected space and I cut a little off of one > end > so it completely covers the area from the rear bench to the back of the > front seat area. It kept mud, dirt, water from the floor and made for > easy > cleanup with a small whisk broom. > > I moved the over sink light to the back over the bed area for a night > time > reading light and installed two Thinlights above the stove and sink. > > I removed the table stand from behind the drivers seat and use that spot > to > put a 2.5 gallon water container for our drinking water. Our faucet > water is > used to wash dishes. > > Porta-poti behind the passenger seat---can't imagine not having this for > a > long trip. > > I installed an inverter on the wall between the sink and the drivers > seat > to recharge the digital camera battery and computer from the auxiliary > battery. > > I had the older model Propex heater from the list group purchase from > many > years ago. We only had to use it a few mornings but it was nice to take > the > chill off. > > A Kirkhams canvas bag made especially for the vanagon luggage rack which > is > where I stored things like oil filters, anti freeze, extra drinking > water, > folding chairs, etc. > > We used a bra on the front of the van in some areas where the roads were > pretty bad and I am certain it saved me from some pretty good rock chips > on > the front since the windshield post to the left of the driver sustained > some > chips and on the gravel road to Atlin, BC we caught a few small chips in > the > windshield and sustained a cracked headlight. > > All in all, an absolutely wonderful trip and I can't imagine having > nearly > as much fun and freedom in any other type of vehicle. > > Harold and Faye > > -- > Harold Teer > Harrisonburg, VA > 1991 Westy > >

-- Harold Teer Harrisonburg, VA 1991 Westy