Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:07:25 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: OT Hurricanes--really an accident?

>Not altogether true. Just like in plague times, there were people who >knew. they just didn't have the political voice to convince anyone who >mattered.

People whoi believe they know do not necessarily know... they merely believe they do.

>>One thing >>geology tells us is that climate is not in equilibrium... it's always >>swinging. If it's warming now, it's not doing anything it hasn't >>already done many of times since life evolved. > >I'd like to see that evidence, especially as it concerns the water >temperatures in the gulf of mexico.

The fossil record, for one, shows that warmwater faunas have occurred over long stretches of time in areas with cool or even cold climates today; this is talking about the world in general, not just the Gulf of México. In many places warmwater faunas are interbedde with coolwater ones, indicating that climates warm and cool. And there were major glaciations at various times as well, in part evidenced by smoother & ice-gouged rocks, some of these being hundreds of millions of years ago.

At present my boss is working on oxygen isotopes in fossil shells and bones; these can be used to indicate temperatures and can give a good approximation of ice volumes at the times at which the animals were living. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

HUMANITY: THE ULTIMATE VON NEUMANN MACHINE

DEMOCRACY: RULE BY THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR