Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:13:54 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 4 speed shift problems
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>

From your description - valve noise and hard shifting - the simplest attempt to fix would be to change the engine oil to Mobil One 15-50 and a Mann or Mahle oil filter, and change the tranny lube to Redline MT-90.

I had probelms in both areas and doing this on my 88 GL and valve noise went away, and tranny shifts so much easier.

If that doesn't do it, then in all likely hood there is a mechincal problem that will have to be dealt with by pulling the tranny. As for the engine itself, further testing will be in order.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver