Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:30:59 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 4 speed shift problems

As Daryl said, suspect the clutch pilot bearing due to the fact that it occurs or gets worse as the vehicle gets warmed up. The dying pilot bearing grabs onto the input shaft so that shaft continues to turn at engine speed even with the clutch pedal down to the floor. When the tranny is cold, the very thick oil inside makes the shaft want to slow down so the grabbing effect of the dying bearing is overcome by that and shifting is ok. As the tranny and it's oil warm up, the thinning oil drags less on the shaft so the dying bearing has a greater ability to keep the input shaft spinning fast when it should not be and this makes it harder for the syncros to mesh as you shift gears.

The clutch pilot bearing is not even a $5 part but it often gets overlooked at clutch time because it can be difficult to change without the right tool or experience.

Mark