Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:50:07 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: whitestar/bluestar
Comments: To: bergw@MINDSPRING.NET

In a message dated 9/26/05 10:26:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bergw@MINDSPRING.NET writes:

> does anyone know the deal with these? I found an 89 GL, i'm in the > process of buying. VIN check on nadaguide says GL/carat. White, white > fiberglass body kit, striped upholstery. There's a lot of work done to > this thing, so it's possible it's a mixture of more then one. As far as > i know, the carat didn't come in white. The again according to the > vanagon.com website, the 89 1/2 wolfsburg (which if i'm not mistaken > is the bluestar/whitestar) didn't come in white either. > > I do have a few questions though. Are the whitestars really wolfsburgs? > Any idea on production numbers? Is the striped rear sear always a weekender > (fold down bed )module? if so, was there a matching engine cover/pad in the > same fabric pattern. How hard is it to come buy the front fiberglass bumpers > (the one i'm buying is cracked, i'd imagine it's fairly pricey, and > difficult to come by) > > -- > William Burg > > > sounds like you found one. the whitestars/bluestars - known as '89 wolfsburg editions in the US market - came in...alpine white L90E (the rarer of the two colors) and Star Blue LD5T. they had grey padded dashes, body color matched bodykit, leather wrapped steering wheels, a subwoofer in the left table wallpanel, and of course the diagonally striped upholstry with the seatbacks in grey velour as well, rather than the grey vinyl. the sofabed kickpanel was also covered in grey carpeting. the rear sofabed cusion was just plain grey velour, the same as the grey velour on the doorpanels. otherwise they were "loaded" like the Carats.

the only carats that came in white were 90-91, and all the white carats had grey bodykits. the 89 wolfsburg did come in white, aka the whitestar you are looking at.

'89 wolfsburgs and the bluestar/whitestar are one in the same. for "purists" technically speaking the bluestar/whitestar nomenclature was only used in europe, but.. ehh... theyre the same van so knock yourself out.

they were a limited edition in 89, as the Carats were also introduced in 89 as well. as for numbers, i know for sure there were more bluestars than whitestars..

as for fiberglass bumpers - 3 words. FIX THEM YOURSELF!!!! its not hard. if you are not handy, i can fix them for you (send me pics of the damage) or i can sell you some outright. i have lots of fiberglass bumpers, pieces, and even whole bodykits. the bumpers i have, have been completely gone thru- repairs (if any) are done professionally w/ fiberglass resin and matting, and everything smoothed over and finished in primer ready for the topcolor of your choice.

chris