Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:47:47 -0700
From:         Aaron <lists@MYCOMMUNITYNET.NET>
Subject:      Is my fridge working properly?

Hello all.

I asked a question about my fridge not lighting earlier and...yes it was operator error. The far right dial was pointed to 0 and not 1. Oops. In any case I learned a lot about the fridge. So after reading some guides about getting it to work, cleaning it out, replacing the broken fan with 2 computer fans, and other such things, it lights with no problems and is "working".

My issue is that it doesn't cool very well. I know that people said that it wasn't very capable, but man, this can't be working 100%. With yesterdays temps ranging from a low of 38 and a high of 70, I had a low in the fridge of 39 and a high of around 55-58 or so. It's on the shady side of the van. Most of the time the fridge temps are not much lower than outside temps. It doesn't seem to go much higher than the upper 50's but I would love for it to stay in the 40's if possible. It's relatively empty (a growler of Pullman Porter, 2 cokes, and a tub of margarine) so circulation should not be an issue. I've noticed that the cooling area (where the ice-cube tray sits) never gets below freezing. It's cold, but never frozen. Other than that it runs and stays lit even when driving. It's been on 24x7 for the last couple of weeks and is parked level.

Things I did: - Cleaned combustion chamber - Cleaned out intake/exhaust pipes (they were fine) - Cleaned accumulated dust off of fins. - Replaced broken stock fan with computer fans.(I didn't test the switch and haven't heard them go on yet!) - Am considering a fan inside (I have 1 more)

Any suggestions to make it work better? Is there something that might be misadjusted that could cause poor cooling?

Thanks! Aaron

'85 Westfalia '85 Sunroof Vanagon

P.S. Ignore the fact that in a couple of weeks I'll be asking how to turn it into a food defroster with outside temps going down rapidly!