Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:52:31 -0300
From:         "Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@GNB.CA>
Subject:      Re: auxillary battery hold down?
Comments: To: roger sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com>

Hi Roger, I made my own "kit". $49 was a little steep for a few wires and battery clamps and instructions that are readily available on the web. BTW I intended to use mine to run my fridge and electric cooler when on the road during the day (stops for tourist attractions, or getting groceries) on our cross Canada trip this summer. But it had an awful hard time keeping up as the battery would run down quite fast. Very quickly gave up on the cooler as it would prevent the battery from recharging while driving (too much draw from the fridge and cooler to recharge the battery). Most people use the aux. battery to run lights and radio (I found out afterwards). I have wired LED's for lighting and use the radio sparingly (1 hour per night) and never had any problem with just one battery. After a few weeks of experimenting with my two battery setup, I ended up running my propane allot more than I was comfortable with (driving and parked while we were in a museum or store) but it was the only solution to keep the fridge cool. I ran the fridge off the battery when it was not practical or safe to fire up the propane (when refuelling or when could not get the camper level while parked). Got the system down pretty good after a few weeks. Ended up using our new electric cooler as a bread box...live and learn. My personal view now is that it is allot of trouble with marginal benefits. I might just get one of those power packs next time and rig it up so that I can plug the fridge into it and then I can charge it while driving and more conveniently at a campground. Oh yeah, if you do do the two battery setup, I would recommend the setup that does not use the existing wiring to charge the aux. battery. It works but it is very slow. I would use the set up recommended by Captain Mike on the Westfalia owners web site. More work but more "juice" getting to the aux. battery.

Pascal

From: roger sisler [mailto:rogersisler2000@yahoo.com] Sent: September 27, 2005 11:23 AM To: Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN) Subject: RE: auxillary battery hold down?

Good idea, I may use it. I see that go westy includes a hold down clamp with their $49 auxillery hook up kit. It looks easy to make. You can see this on their web site.

"Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@gnb.ca> wrote:

I used very dense foam to hold mine in place. It was such a tight fit that it did not move. Not ideal but it worked for me. BTW I take the aux. battery out when not camping as it runs my Subaru. It is one of those Canadian Tire Spiral cell batteries. Pascal '84 Westy ________________________________ From: Vanagon Mailing List on behalf of roger sisler Sent: Mon 26/09/2005 4:11 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: auxillary battery hold down? Does anybody know about these things? Can I use one form another venicle? Vendors dont seem to have these, but sell the kits to hook up another battery. Has anyone made one themselves?I haaave the threaded hole under the drivers seat, but thats it.Thanks --------------------------------- Yahoo! for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Yahoo! for Good Click here to donate <http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/> to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.