Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:31:40 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Stick vs Auto, was: Vanagon Definition

I'm with you. I have seen far more auto tranny Vanagons listed for sale needing tranny work or with recent tranny repairs mentioned than 4 speed models. I know of numerous manual watercooled models that went to 150-200K and still going. I'm sure some will say that if only the owners took better care of them, then the autos outlast the sticks. Maybe, maybe not. You could just as easily blame the cracking 3/4 hubs on the owners too, since some fail much sooner than others and some never do. My opinion is that given the typical use and typical lack of maintenance the sticks live as long or longer than the autos. Plenty of exceptions, no doubt.

The design of the 3/4 hub was carried to the watercooled trannys from earlier VW van models.They can suffer the same failures but with the weaker stock earlier engines they don't seem to break trannys as much as later models. In the last years of European Vanagon production the 3/4 hub was changed in a very minor way to help avoid the failure. Reputable rebuilders generally put the new part in at rebuild time. Some places weld the old type where it tends to crack over time.

Mark