Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:56:04 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Losing power...update
Comments: To: Eric Unrau <eunrau@YAHOO.CA>

No, merely unplugging the connectors to the O2 sensor does not eliminate the possibility of a problem with that circuit. The ECU ignores the O2 sensor until the Temp2 sensor tell the ECU that the engine is warmed up. Then the ECU monitors the voltage on 2 specific wires in the FI harness that it assumes will give it the status of the O2 content in the exhaust. There are several known types of failures of this wiring between the ECU and the sensor. Even with the sensor unplugged at the far end, some problems with with this wiring can give the ECU false readings that will cause it to badly screw up the mixture as soon as the Temp2 sensor tells it the engine is warm enough. The bad readings can persist even with a good O2 sensor, a new O2 sensor, or an unplugged one.

Mark