Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:13:11 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: carpet - Cleaning

I used to use Super Clean in a 50/50 mix with water to clean gas station pads. It, and most of those 'purple' knockoffs have a fairly strong percentage of sodium hydroxide (otherwise known as lye) in the mixture. Y'know, lye, like in that scene in 'Fight Club'. They also often have other related types of caustics in them as well depending on the product.

Now lye can be found in a million things (including some foods) in different amounts, but in the five-percent or better mixture in these cleaners it can be pretty powerful. I saw a guy once get holes in the skin on his hands after about 45 minutes of exposure to some undiluted purple stuff- he didn't think he needed gloves. He was wrong. Not only were his hands messed up, but there's a possible poisoning problem from that kind of injury as well. You can read about the effects of lye on washer-women from back when, for instance. Pretty ugly.

A few months ago somebody on the list suggested using one of these cleaners (a concrete/driveway cleaner) to clean the engine. Caustics can be highly reactive to aluminum as well as other materials on or around the engine. I wouldn't go there. If you didn't get it completely rinsed out or diluted in could cause damage that would come back to haunt long after you forgot about using it. The products that are made for engine cleaning generally work just fine, no need to get creative with it.

If you dilute the purple stuff to the proper levels it should be fine on carpets. I think I'd be inclined to use it as a spot treatment, tho, and probably go with the Tide otherwise, or just a commercial carpet detergent. Tide, btw, is pretty versatile stuff- people use it to make mixtures to wash houses, for instance.

The local Wal-Mart stopped carrying Super Clean, and the Walmartian 'working' there told me it was because California banned it when it did its annual tweak of the environmental statutes. I'm not sure I buy that, but I never looked into it because there are plenty of decent substitutes readily available and many of them are cheaper.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug in Calif" <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 11:14 AM Subject: Re: carpet - Cleaning