Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:33:47 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil pump priming?
Comments: To: Andrew <awg1011@GMAIL.COM>

These pumps can be a bear to prime once the gears get dry. Remove the oil filter, using a pump oil can, push some oil into the outer hole in the filter adapter. This will get some oil on the gears so they can create suction. Pushing oil in the sender opening will not work as it is above the filter and check valve. To get the pump primed without running the engine, remove the distributor and make a shaft so a drill motor can be used to turn the pump shaft. 1,000 rpm here is the same as the engine running at 2,000 rpm. You will know when the pump has picked up as the drill will become hard to hold or oil will flow if the filter is off.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: Andrew <awg1011@GMAIL.COM> Date: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:41 am Subject: Oil pump priming?