Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:06:10 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: yet another engine choice - VW "twincharger"
Comments: To: Bill Collins <wb6otg@INTREX.NET>

Bill Collins wrote:

>><<Yep... and they don't even know what a supercharger is. A supercharger >>AND a turbo? A turbo IS IS IS a supercharger!>> >> >> > > >There's a difference between the common usage (at least in the USA) and the technical terms. > >As I understand it, a supercharger is anything that pressurizes the air intake to increase the amount of air in the cylinders. A turbo supercharger is one that uses an exhaust driven turbine to do the job. > >In common usage supercharger refers to the belt driven kind and turbocharger refers to the exhaust driven kind. > >Bill > > > > Bill,

Think you are right. A blower is a blower by any other name.

Supercharger - as was taught to me in the good old days of my aviation training - was a device used to increase the air density in the intake manifold so that there could be a correspondimg increase in fuel to allow greater power within the same cylinder volume.

How it was drive didn't alter it's function, but only further defines how it derived it's drive power.

I can't relate to automotive vehicles in this - I don't have that experience - but - in the piston type aircraft engines the radial engines tended to have internal, gear-driven centrifugal compressors, where-as on the smaller flat opposed cylinder engines they went for the exhaust driven turbines. The exceptions might have been in the really big compound engines like the Wright (?) or perhaps it was the Pratt & Whitney (?) 3350 cu. in. disp. that had three exhaust driven superchargers. This power recovery system was significant for performance the aircraft that used those engine. No comparison to todays modern pure jet, fan jet and propjet (turboprop) engines however. Turbines all, but configured different ways.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver