Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:21:19 -0400
From:         Wil Haslup <wil@CHARMFX.COM>
Subject:      Re: The 150 MPG carbureter exists!

roger sisler wrote: > Really it does. GM paid 100 million to cover it up. > Last night I heard all about its' development on the radio. > you know , that AM radio station that you listen to when you > cant sleep at 3 in the morning. > This person on the radio said that he knew the developer personally, > and this is how it all happened....... > This guy was cleaning parts at work with > gasoline and somehow > acetone got included in the mixture. Well , this guy was > called away from the parts > that he was cleaning, and when he returned all the gas was > evaperated > (got your interest now?) He discovered that this acetone > had caused the gas to > vaporize quickly. He put this to work in his car and the > rest should have > been history(yeah right).

I've heard the 'acetone added' method and believe it does work though not to the extent you mention. I've heard reports of 2-15% increase in mpg but that's still good considering you're only adding a tiny amount of acetone.

The references I read mentioned using it in an injected engine with an oxygen sensor. As the gas vaporizes quicker the computer can sense and adjust the mixture.

(Does my '80 air cooled have an oxygen sensor? It's got a computer but I don't think it does...it may not be able to adjust the amount of air.)

The acetone decreases the surface tension between molecules of the gas allowing them to disperse easier.

(Same principal Ben Franklin used in pouring a small quantity of oil on a wavy lake to still the waters....the oil spread out and diminished the wind's ability to cause wave action.)

This is the same principle but not a 'design' for a carburetor that uses vacuum or heat to create vapor.

For those interested there is a new engine design by Mitsubishi that seems to make use of these principles...injector and piston designed to increase fuel dispersion in the cylinder allowing for much leaner rations of fuel to air.

You can find info at:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/inter/technology/GDI/page5.html#1

at least it's a real manufacturer...

> Eventually, he setteled upon > 2 ounces of acetone > per gallon of premium gasoline as the perfect ratio.

I've heard 400:1 to 200:1 depending on the vehicle.

I've also heard it may improve emissions test results but I'm not sure why.

> His Oldsmobile 442 got > 75 mpg with this.He said that the premium gas was needed > to retard the combustion > of this quickly vaporized gas until the proper time.

It may be necessary in a traditionally carbureted vehicle but if the computer adjusts the mixture in a more modern vehicle it may not. You might use a water injection scheme also for the same effect and slightly more gain.

Of course, use of acetone may also create a condition where you get vapor lock in hot weather or a hazard if you have old fuel hoses!!!

> Or was it that premium > retards were combusted quickly at the proper time?. > Dont remember exactly as it was 3AM. Dosent matter anyway.

> How many times do you get a chance to save civilization > all by yourself?

While increased fuel economy is a good step it seems to me civilization needs more saving.

; )

---

Last Sunday several talking heads were asked about the potential for big oil, Detroit auto, politicians getting together for a 21st century 'moon shot' program to eliminate our dependence on foreign oil through development of new technology.

All the guests on either side agreed it won't happen.

...it would probably make too much sense!!!

(...and this week the President asked Americans to drive less to conserve about 2-3 weeks AFTER I've started seeing loads of folks leaving their vehicles parked and using bikes, skates, scooters, etc. when they don't absolutely have to use the car/truck. Of course, with winter coming on and heating bills hitting us too we won't have those options in bad weather.)

> Not many I would guess, and the risks are worth it. > So I ask, are there any > listees out there that would like to try this out? > I would do this myself , > but my vanagon wont let me( this is my only vehicle), > and I cant afford > a tank of premum gas anyway.Perhaps a someone has an old > vehicle that can > be donated to this cause. Maybe a friend needs a birthday > present of a > tank of premum gas(birthday not till next april).Let us know the > results on this list.Roger

I'm thinking a good candidate for use is a lawn mower first.

Know your mower tank size? Keep throttle set at the same place and time how long it takes to run the gas out.

add 1 part acetone to 400 parts gas in a gas can, fill the tank again and try again and see if it runs longer. I wouldn't do this with a 2 cycle mower...only a regular one. I've only got a LawnBoy 2 cycle so I can't try this.

I wouldn't think there is much to a 4 cycle mower engine to damage doing this once....and you may get more of that fall grass cut.

--

Wil

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." -- Douglas Adams