Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:38:04 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: yet another engine choice - VW "twincharger"

>Wrong again Andrew. >The Rolls / Merlin is / was supercharged.

I stand corrected... Terry. IF that's correct.

>Read on and be corrected again. > >The ME 262 was the fastest bird in the sky at the time, but wasen't a >piston Engine.

I never mentioned jets, I said PISTON-engined.

>The P-51 D was the fastest prop aircraft then, and is now. >They ate ME 109's. >No contest.

Crap. The 109K was at least as fast as any Mousedung and could outdive and outclimb them easily, even fully loaded. They did lack a bit in maneoverability due to high wing-loading (small wings for aircraft mass ie big engine). Unfortunately for the Germans, very few were built due to the US' factory-bombing campaign. Not that they had many trained pilots left by that stage...

It's funny how different books give different "facts" and figures. I guess you can find a book to back up any claim... so to get "accurate" figures you'd probably have to go to the manufacturers. IF they still exist or have original records.

Gee, you are really out to get up peoples' noses, aren't you? Yoe are GOOD at it, under whatever alias yuo are currently going by.