Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:24:44 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: OT Generations of Passats, was "adjustable intermittent relay"

>We called the Audi twin to the VW Passat (Dasher) the Fox. It was a Audi 80 >in Europe.

In fact it was also sold as Audi Fox in Britain, as well as 80. The design was pure Audi.

>Not to be confused with the VW Fox (which was called the Voyage >in it's native Brazil--and I think was called the VW Derby in Europe)

The VW Fox was a Brasilian design. The Derby was the notch version of the Polo hatch, a VW do Deutschland design. Also sold I think as an Audi, though I've forgotten the number... 50? 70?

>. I had >an '81 Dasher Diesel wagon. 1974 to 1978 with slight upgrades from 1979 - >1981. Wagon only available in 1981 in the USA. > Now as to the Quantum/Santana being a first generation Passat? No. It was >clearly the second and began selling in the US in 1982 to 1989. While the >configuration of the first and second generation Passats (FWD, >longitudinally mounted engine) was the same, they shared nothing else but >some power trains. The Second Generation was larger, clunkier, had room for >the five cylinder Audi engine. Long, long hood. 1.6L Turbodiesel was an >option. Syncros came later.

Hve you looked at the outa-of-sight parts... firewall, floorpan, door openings, inner panels? I think you'd find that these went right through from 1973 (not 1974) to the 80s. It's easy too to lengthen the nose of an existing design to accomodate a longer engine. In those days the Europeans used loooooong model cycles; now they imitate the Japanese with 4-year cycles, or at least much shorter ones than previously.

>The third generation Passat, and fourth (without >much change other than some sheet metal) went to transverse. I have one of >these little nightmares, a '96 GLX Wagon that I constantly pray it will be >stolen on a trip to Chicago.

That'[s the way to tell a VW design from an Audi; transverse engine=VW; inline engine=Audi.

> The new Passat (which I just hate, by the way) goes back to horizontally >mounted engine. I hear the new Scirocco comes back in 2008. Sadly, I think >VW has just come out with a group of soul-less, but expensive cars. Except >for my '85 Vanagon, I think my VW jag is finally over.

Very much the same here. The Golf 1/Scirocco 1 was a good start, being quick (in larger-engined ie 1.5, 1.6l versions) and benchmark handling. Even my 75 Golf L 1100 was nippy. The Golf II spelled the end of VW as a manufacturer of driver's cars. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

HUMANITY: THE ULTIMATE VON NEUMANN MACHINE

DEMOCRACY: RULE BY THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR