Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:50:23 -0400
From:         Paul Wyand <miatapaul@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AFM issues

Hello I am not a frequent poster, but the good news is that it is due to having good luck with my Vanagon so far. Sorry for a long post but I wanted to include what I have done so far.

1984 1.9l with 170,000 no leaking heads

I am having issues with the "Vanagon syndrome" and have put in new plugs, cap and roter, O2 sensor and have taken the AFM apart. I cleaned it out with contact cleaner. There was already a factory harness fix installed. I get stumbling when I accelerate, especially after gear changes or changes in accelerator. When I test the AFM with a meter it seems like the resistance goes up from 500 to around 1500 then starts to go back down to 500 at full open. This seems to correlate with the stumbling that I have been experience. Slight acceleration and it runs OK, then any hill or gear change it stumbles for a second or two until the flow slows down to where it is getting an accurate signal. I tried moving the carbon track, buy loosening the 3 screws holding it down and using a small screwdriver to move it as far down and to the right as it could go, but was not able to get much movement. (when facing it with the electrical connector facing down) Still same issue. I think this indicates a bad AFM. Any thoughts on perhaps making the holes bigger on the carbon track PBC board? then I could move it further.

I am not working now, (temporary) and money is real tight, and making it hard to get work as it is the only car I have on the road now. I saw that the Parts Place has one in there catalog for $150 but does not say if this is just used (most likely), rebuilt or new(not likely) and I am not sure a used one for that much would be a good investment. I know some folks have had problems with the Parts Place, I have dealt with them a few times and have had good experiences.

The other reason I do not really want to put any money into this is that I have a Subaru motor in garage that I want to do a swap with and any money spent on other issues will only delay that project.

PS I just noticed that Bus Depot has a rebuilt for $149 so I may try that. Just wanted more ideas for a cheap fix, even if it is not long term, as I hope to start the swap this winter. (good project to keep me out of trouble for the winter!) So all I need is a few months.