Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:16:40 -0700
From:         Detroit Bus <detroit.bus@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Any interest in a 1987 Weekender? * Photos *

Hi all- I'm ready to cash in my Vanagon chips and thought I would gauge interest/comments/sarcasm on the list before writing up a Samba or Ebay listing. This is a good condition daily driver 1987 GL Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender, just spent a lost summer at a mechanic in the sleepy Hudson River Valley. ECU, Hall sender, several other ignition parts and wiring just replaced. Now runs well again, according to the mechanic (I am 3000 miles away). Experienced Vanagon mechanic spent six charged hours going through the ignition/EFI system. Nearly new engine installed 2003. About 15K on engine, 165K on Vanagon. PO took repeated long road trips to British Columbia. Light to moderate rust on lower body panels, almost no structural rust at all. Assorted small dents and scratches from life in NYC, but a decent-looking vehicle overall. [see photos below] Current NY state inspection sticker, registered and insured. Good condition 99% original interior with original rear-facing jump seats, pop-up table, bed, etc. Dash is not cracked. All fabric is clean and odor free. 2.1Lengine (*new* factory block, $5000 spent by PO) Phosphate-free coolant. Heads dry. Body repainted at some point with original Wolfsburg edition gray. Original A/C all components present but not op. Original window curtain (snap-on buttons) and jacking equipment in original white plastic bags. Original owner's manual with Weekender supplement. Regular oil changes and maintenance, adult owned since new (I am third owner and have names of previous two.) Four brand new Hankook 185R14's from Bus Depot! Less than 300 miles on them! (not shown in photos) Any reasonable offer considered (or if you'd like to suggest a reasonable price to me before I list it). Here are several LARGE photos taken last winter when I drove it back and forth to Detroit: http://www.detroitarchitecture.com/ebay/vanagon1.jpg http://www.detroitarchitecture.com/ebay/vanagon2.jpg http://www.detroitarchitecture.com/ebay/vanagon3.jpg http://www.detroitarchitecture.com/ebay/vanagon4.jpg http://www.detroitarchitecture.com/ebay/vanagon5.jpg http://www.detroitarchitecture.com/ebay/vanagon6.jpg http://www.detroitarchitecture.com/ebay/vanagon7.jpg http://www.detroitarchitecture.com/ebay/vanagon8.jpg http://www.detroitarchitecture.com/ebay/vanagon9.jpg Note that since the photos were taken the windshield has been cracked horizontally across its entire length, about 6" or so from the bottom (below driver line of sight). The passenger side rear-view mirror glass has fallen out and is missing. Power locking works intermittently. The seam and panel rust has also advanced at the expected rate; definitely a Nor'easter Vanagon (spent 15 years in Maine before I bought it). Radio works, rear defogger works, heater works, oil pressure light does *not* work. VDO oil and temp guages are 90% installed (need to connect at engine) and mounted down near floor in front of shift lever in a 3 gauge mount which required drilling two holes in the black plastic. If you are interested I can arrange a viewing with the mechanic (its still on their lot, lonely for another road trip). I will need to empty the interior before sale; I am located in California now which is why I must sell it and it was filled up in preparation for a cross-country drive when the ignition system gave out and I had to abandon it. If I was still in NY I would not sell my Vanagon; its just I would have to pay way too much to get it shipped out here, and have already bought a replacement vehicle. Let me reiterate that it is *a running vehicle with a nearly-new engine and fine interior*. Also comes with a few new parts including a new resistor pack for the cooling fan first stage, oil filters, belts, etc. The Vanagon is ready for another decade or two of roaming the great northeast. Always started instantly on even the coldest mornings last winter. If anyone can figure out a way I can get it to California for significantly less I'm all ears because I would love to keep it. It would be a fine vehicle for years to come. Would be happy to reply to any questions/comments. Looking to move this by Thanksgiving weekend.

-- Garrick Los Angeles, California

'63 Sundial Panel '87 GL Weekender (marooned in Hudson River Valley)

***** With fond remembrances of: '77 Beetle '67 Kombi Bus '59 Pickup sn# 460440 '67 Beetle '76 Camper Bus