Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Oct 2005 19:08:52 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Nagging Gremlins:  Temp gauge, Window washer, stumble,
              arm rest, Sliding door
Comments: To: "Craig, Jim M. {PCNA}" <Jim.M.Craig@PEPSI.COM>

With your years of vehicle it is a simple matter isolate the cause of the flashing. Both your Vanagon and your Quantum have virtually the same electrical system. In the main relay panel of both, in relay socket #3 is a coolant level warning control unit. This relay will have a large number "43" or "42" printed on the end that is visible. The warning unit monitors the coolant level sensor in the main coolant tank. When ever the sensor says the coolant is low for more than a few seconds, the control unit starts flashing the warning LED in the temp gauge. Once the flashing starts it will continue until the key is turned off and back on. All you have to do is pull the relay from socket #3. If the flashing stops and does not return then you know the problem is with the coolant level detection system. If the flashing returns even with the relay out you can be sure that the problem is in the instrument cluster, probably the temp gauge internal electronics. The temp gauge is a separate piece and can be replaced.

Mark