Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:24:58 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Tire Guidelines Report

>--- Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> wrote: >> Your Vanagon is a car, Larry.

That wasn't me, that was a snip from the posting I was agreeing with.

>My testimonial is that when I bought my 91 syncro westy, it had >passenger tyres on it. The was >very squirmy on the road, especially corners and cross winds. When >I switched to LT tyres, it >handled much better, to the point that when my PO mechanic drove it, >he thought that I'd re-done >the suspension and added anti-sway bars. LT tires made a big, >positive difference in my (and >larry's ?) 5,000 lbs syncro westy. Malcolm (Halifax)

There are different passenger-car tires. Why assume that one type will be the same as all? Poor-quality tires will give oddball handling. This may not be due so much to sidewall flex (though high-profile tires will flex more than low-profile) as to poor tread design and/or grip... again, poor-quality tires may last a long time, but will slip under accelerations of any kind.

Fit GOOD-quality car tires with suitable load rating and see the difference! Best are low-profile with larger-diameter wheels, say plus-2 (16" or plus-3 (17")... not everyone will want to go to plus-4 (18"). Again, good-quality low-profile tires need not cause a harsh ride.

Of course those who want to go up 4WD tracks would need to be careful where they put the tires... or stick to truck or offroad tires... with, of course, the serious compromises both engender. My Hiaces have had LT tires, and the handling is uninspiring to say the least. If I need to replace them, guess what I'll be fitting? (and yes, on occasion I do go way up 4WD tracks and crosscountry in the search for fossil sites).

>This should dispel any myth that larger wheels or newer tires obviate the >need for an extra-load tire on a VW van.

No myth. There are car tires of low profile with the correct load rating. These are more than fine for any van. And they virtually eliminate sidewall flex/tread squirm.

>What we need is input from our South African friends as to what THEIR >Vanagons/Caravelles/Transporters/Microbuses had as recommended tire >pressure. Especially on those equiped with the 15" wheels. After all >those were made up till 2002.

And all those enthusiasts in Germany running fast hot T2s with 18" wheels with 30% CAR tire profiles.

> > This is now, and tire's have come a long way in construction, >compounds,

Exactly. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

HUMANITY: THE ULTIMATE VON NEUMANN MACHINE

DEMOCRACY: RULE BY THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR