Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Oct 2005 01:00:11 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Tire Guidelines Report

On 10/3/05 11:05 PM, "Jake de Villiers" <crescentbeachguitar@TELUS.NET> wrote:

> To address your concerns: > (1) Before I had passenger tires on that van, I had truck tires, and > before that, 3 different sets of car tires, so I know what it drives like 5 > different ways.

The load rated tires on the vanagon are there for reasons. The safety requirements for the vehicle and to meet NHTSA rules on safety for gross weight. Note that the vanagon base tire rule also is actually a german safety rule as well. At the time of the vanagon there was no real advantage to getting LT rating for CAFÉ as the vehicle was a light truck under the rules any way you configured it. To get any kind of exemption it would have needed a (legal) gross weight capability of 8500 lbs. (at that time an exceedingly rare vehicle that wasnąt a commercial truck, now the hummer and others fit that exemption)

I have experienced my vanagon with a load and standard tires and will never do it again! Also another reason... Many years ago I was driving a light cargo truck that had a load and standard tires. Took low speed sharp turn and almost lost the truck. Yard boss that witnessed it said he thought the tires were going to fold right under it. He had several complaints on the vehicle handling and after witnessing my incident he looked at the tires and then referred it to base safety and motorpool inspection section. The tires had just been replaced on that vehicle and the rest of the fleet by an off base provider for those vehicles because they were under contract rather than Air Force owned. The specified tires for the vehicle were C rated minimum but the contractor had replaced with standard tires without checking the specs (or just trying to cheat the contract). OSHA (donąt know why), NHTSA, and Air Force safety investigated. The contractor was fined by OSHA (never understood that one) after the NHTSA and the Air Force investigations found that the tires were not just out of spec but a gross violation of basic safety. At the time the contract for the vehicles was under consideration for expansion. It was cancelled instead. (purchased more dodge rams)

Changing of spec to tighter is many times encouraged. To change specs to lesser is usually a violation of safety and/or laws. In some states it is a heavy fine to have under spec tires on and most you qualify for a small ticket (if they bother to check the tires). In all states if you have an accident and it is blamed on under spec tires you may kiss your financial (and possibly legal) bottom goodbye.

jimt