Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:44:53 EDT
From:         Jim Morgan <JM060356@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Intermitent starting

Hello All, I am in need of some Ideas about my intermitent starting problem. Most times turn the key it starts. Every so often the starter will not turn. I hear the pump hum but no action. If i run around and use my jumper that i have mounted on the starter and touch the wire to the positive terminal of the alternator it starts. My thinking is that if the starter motor/selinoid were bad this would not work. I have replaced the switch and removed and cleaned the starter connections and ran a second ground, should I also run a duplicate Positive wire from the switch to the starter? this being a automatic trans the neutral switch does not seem to be the problem because it happens in park or in neutral but if i run around and use the jumper it starts. Very puzzaling.

Jim Morgan 86 GL " bread box" automatic 219,950.0 miles