Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:33:50 -0400
From:         John Meeks <vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NEED HELP W/ THERMOSTAT HOUSING
Comments: To: John Wallace <jwallace@msad43.org>

John One trick is to park with the front of the van downhill so the thermostat is higher than the radiator bleed screw. siphon off the coolant from your expansion and overflow tank to minimize coolant loss. Replace when done. Check http://www.vanagonauts.com/19.11-Thermostat--2.1L-53.htm for some more pointers. I replaced all my bolts with Stainless Steel and they still look great. Mind the torque values, that housing is plastic and WILL crack if overtorqued. -- John Meeks

Vanagon Rescue Squad http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon_Rescue_Squad74.htm

'91 Multivan Top o' Northern Michigan KC8ZFN

On 10/5/05, John Wallace <jwallace@msad43.org> wrote: > > Dear List members, > It appears that the Thermostat housing is leaking where it attaches to the > block/head on m '88 Vanagon 2.1 w/4 speed. > > The bolts that hold it on appear to be quite rusty and I'm hesitant that I > might break them off as they are probably original. > > I want to replace the housing, thermostat, o-rings and any hoses that are > attached to it. > > Any hints or help you can give me about removal and replacement would be > greatly appreciated. > > John Wallace > Rumford, Maine >