Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:03:24 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Chrysler slant 6

The original point here was the vanagons' lack of time for the fuel to mix with the air before ignition. The slant six has months for this to happen with an intake runner almost 2 feet long. I am wondering if this lack of time can be overcome with acetone. Will acetone atomize the fuel earlier and give the mixing thing more time to happen? If so, better gas mileage? I am assuming that acetone will not make much difference in a slant 6 as the fuel already has much time to atomize and mix before combustion.That is all. My 65 valiant wagon had a slant six w/3 on the tree. I bet many here dont know what that was. It gave the previous owner 17mpg and I got 17mpg.My 66 econoline w/"boss 170"(geared very low,100hp) six cylinger and automatic got 17. Not bad for a big flat front end.My 82 fairmont got about 19 mpg w/200 inch six and sutomatic. My friends 77 rabbit got 35mpg with 4 people on board, but that was too new a car for me at that time.I was a slant 6 fan too, but it is interesting that of all the six cylinder engines of the 60s' only the AMC 232 still is made( at last check).Also it is interesting that chrysler dropped the slant 6 about the time that they bought AMC. I think the slant 6 weighed more than a small block chevy. During its first year of existance , it was made of aluminum.These are a prize today.Long live the Pacer! I wondered if the link provided last week in "fuel additive" will show a corelation between type of intake manifold type, and improvement in gas mileage. Or throttle body injection vs port injection. I do not know which cars tested in the link had these different types of features, and what mileage improvement , if any , they got.Maybe some knowlegable person can review these and see if any link exists.