Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:21:23 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: rebuilt auto transmission
Comments: To: Alan Sinclair <alan@deterministicnetworks.com>

> anyone have advice on good value source for a rebuilt auto transmission > for an '81 Westie (standard engine) please?

I am quite happy with the auto transmission I got from German Transaxle Inc. in Oregon. I ended up paying under $600 for it and it includes a new torque converter. <www.gtainc.biz <http://www.gtainc.biz>>

how hard is it to put in? I've no tools beyond socket set and wrenches > at present - should I try do-it-myself?

I understand it's not terribly hard to swap out just the transmission unit itself, leaving the engine and differential strapped up in place. Changing the torque converter is a bit more trouble, as it's sandwiched between the engine and differential, meaning you'd need to drop the differential. You don't NEED to change the torque converter necessarily, but GT won't warranty the transmission if you don't. If you're going to do the torque converter, I'd almost recommend dropping the whole engine-differential-transmission assembly as a unit onto a dolly, pulling all three apart and reassembling them out in the light of day, and putting it all back the same way. I did that with my 2.1 wasserboxer, but I was also changing the engine. I understand the 2.0 AFC engine is markedly heavier, and you definitely need a reasonably roomy paved garage type place to roll an engine around on (plus you'd prob need to buy/build a dolly!), so that may be considered "the hard way". Question is, is dropping the differential and transmission alone easier, or is it "the hardER way"...

One of the CVs needs replacing too -- is it easier to do the CV and the > tranny at the same time?

If you're dropping the differential to change the torque converter, you'll be unbolting the axles from the transmission side already, and it's a whole lot easier to get the differential out if you just go ahead and unbolt the axles from the wheels and set them aside out of the way. So yeah, then you might as well grease/replace the CV joints as necessary since you're mostly there anyway. If you're just swapping out the transmission unit for a rebuilt, there's no particular advantage to doing the CV joints at the same time. It's as good a time as any, I suppose, since you've already got your tools out and the back end up on ramps/stands.

As far as whether or not to do the torque converter, I couldn't say. Much easier not to, definitely, but I don't know much about the reliability of torque converters. I don't imagine they go bad very often, having only a couple moving parts that don't even touch each other.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon "Keine Bange, wir holen die Zange!"