Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 07:17:05 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Passenger Car Tire Example 1
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

Dennis,

Jaime's Sumitomo tire is very interesting.

Model: HTR 200 Size: 205/70 HR14 Load Index: 95H SL Max Load: 1521 lbs Max Inflation Pressure: 51 psi

It apparently has a SL (Not reinforced) sidewall and yet can handle 51 psi.

As you know, normally a SL sidewall tire only is only rated at 35 psi.

But since this is a passenger car tire, the load capacity spec would be derated by 9% which would only give it a 1384 Load capacity.

That's the major issue that troubles me?

The OE Michelin MXL was an odd ball tire too, in that in had a "very" reinforced sidewall and could actually handle 1580 lbs of load capacity.

BTW .... Several folks with original Michelin MXL tires responded to my OE tire survey.

I don't recall very many being happy with that tire, low mileage was the major compliant as I recall.

I agree with the folks that are looking for a tire that gives a better ride, but I hope we are being careful and picking tires that can truly handle the weight and stresses of Tall, Narrow, Heavy Vehicle with a small tire diameter.

Some of these Vans have been pimped in very cool ways and only being used as a mellow street only vehicle.

That's cool.

But tire reports like mine and Vanagon.Com, Syncro.org, Bus Depot, Type 2 List and such are focused on helping people pick safe tires that can handle the Load Capacities specs of the vehicle in the manner the vehicle was designed to be used.

Camping, exploring and adventures following questionable roads to unknown destinations.

Now if we all moved up to 17" - 18" tires me would have plenty of choices.

But then we would need a major engine upgrade to turn the wheels.

Compromises :(

good tire, larry chase www.roadhaus.com www.roadhaus.com/shops.html www.roadhaus.com/tires.html

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:dhaynes@optonline.net] Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:02 PM To: 'Larry Chase'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Passenger Car Tire Example 1

This tire is a better fit than most due to the 95 load index and 51 psi inflation capability. I would still shy away though. If replacing the set, go for a 215/70-14. This will get you to a 96 or 97 load index. The factory used the 97 with the reinforced Michelin MXL's. Make sure the tire can be inflated to 44 psi.

Dennis