Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:27:45 -0700
From:         Don Williams <williams@FIRE.BIOL.WWU.EDU>
Subject:      acetone

An organic solvent is a liquid which is based upon carbon-containing compounds, in contrast to an aqueous solvent, which is a liquid based upon water. Pure acetone is an organic solvent which contains only one type of molecule, while gasoline is a distillate fraction which contains many different types of molecules that have many of the same properties. Different organic solvents (petroleum ether, ether acetone, acetonitrile, and gasoline, for that matter) have different abilities to melt or liquify or leach (solubilize) materials with which they come in contact. Flexible tubing, like gas line) is formulated on the basis of which solvents it touches and thus gas additives will have some effect on the solubilizing (melting) of gas lines. I just think that one should be very, very, very careful about what one adds to gasoline and the refining industry has obviously not (MTBE), and now those F*****G people want protection for law suits over the matter. IMHO, the only thing good that can be said about individuals experimenting with acetone is that it is kind of an internalized experiment-----you do it and you suffer the consequences (except when your Vanagon catches fire while it is parked next to my Vanagon!!) Don

At 08:52 AM 10/6/2005 -0700, you wrote: Don,

explain to me the difference between gasoline, an organic solvent, and acetone, an organic solvent.

alistair