Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:54:51 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: acetone again
Comments: To: Don Williams <williams@FIRE.BIOL.WWU.EDU>

Because of potential fuel shortages the US Government has lifted the rules for requiring fuel additives for "Regions". By regions they mean High Density Population areas like major cities they can also mean: High altitude locations. Extreme Cold areas. Extreme Hot Areas. All of these and others have been getting special blends of fuels. The additives perform different functions from acting as antifreeze and pollution reducing functions. I can tell you for a fact that all my cars, Ford, Olds, Porsche, VW have all gotten better fuel economy when I purchased non enhanced fuel 50 miles out of the city where the enhanced or regional blending is not required. If you're running Acetone in the non-region specific fuels I'd expect you to be getting better fuel economy because you're getting better fuel to begin with. I'm sure there are exceptions but you may need to wait a few weeks or months until the regional blends are once again in the tanks before you get a true picture of the acetone enhancement. I can remember when the whole world thought massive doses of Vitamin C prevented the common cold. Turns out I was right then when I said all it does is make your urine orange. Most home centers like Lowe's, Home Depot, ACE hardware all stock Acetone by the gallon size so if you're intent on trying it you just as well buy it at a good price. If you're running carbuerators I'd avoid running Acetone since the instructions on all Carb cleaners say not to wet your floats with the cleaner. Many of the carb cleaners contain acetone.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <williams@FIRE.BIOL.WWU.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:48 AM Subject: acetone again