Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 12:53:11 -0400
From:         Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@FAIRCHILDSEMI.COM>
Subject:      Re: acetone again, anyone using?
Comments: To: "Greenamyer, William L" <william.l.greenamyer@BOEING.COM>

I have tried it in my wife's minivan but just once. I am currently trying it in my 4 Cyl air-cooled Honda MC. However, I have decided to run a two month evaluation of the stuff in my K car with 2.2 L fuel injected engine because this is the closest I can get to my Vanagon which I don't want to use for the evaluation.

My plan is to run a controlled experiment taking data on several concentrations which will themselves be controlled through mixing the acetone with 5 gallon batches of fuel from the same gas station. I will then graph the results to see if the concentrations I chose follow the curves that the website has. I already have baseline data on the car and since it is my daily commuter the route and distances will be relatively similar. Also I am the only driver and am fairly consistent. The uncontrollable factors will be weather ( it is getting colder as we head into fall here in Maine) and the fuel formulation as they switch over to winter fuel (worse gas mileage). I will maintain recommended tire pressure and the car is in good tune so I should not have to change anything there.

After running the evaluations and selecting the optimum ratio I shall run a two week confirmation run followed by a two week control (no acetone).

I am assuming that there will be no damage to the fuel components or engine components since acetone is a component of fuel injector and carb cleaners. The relative ratio of acetone is so small that the percentage in the gas should be negligible anyways, nevertheless I have placed some of the same NAPA high pressure fuel line into some of the mixed gas in a can and will soak for the entire month. I also have spare throttle bodies sitting around so I will liberate some of the critical O rings and throw them into the mix as well.

Unfortunately the component testing mentioned above will not likely translate to Vanagon specific items since I don't have any spare Vanagon parts. Anecdotally though, there is little likelihood of collateral damage, based on the articles on the websites that were recently circulate.

At this point I am a little skeptical that much improvement will occur and what improvement does occur may be more the cleaning effects of the acetone than anything else. Guess I shall find out. Results to be published in December.

Best Regards Howard Allen S. Portland, Maine

"Don't tread on me."