Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:24:22 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: rebuilt auto transmission

I've done this by myself (twice now, and with the proper tools for the most part) and I'll be doing it again by myself shortly... having said that, I'd recommend a helping hand if you can get it. Getting it out is not nearly the ordeal that is getting it back in. I did it the first time using a transmission jack attachment to the floor jack. The second time, not having the attachment anymore, I used a well-placed 2 x 12 cut to an appropriate length. Worked equally well but the board didn't have the feeling of security that the jack attachment with its chains did; you can find one fairly inexpensively at Harbor Freight, btw. I also use a bottle jack to support the engine. A guy named Craig Oda went through all this a little over a year ago, I think- If you look up his threads in the archives you'll probably find all you want to know and more. He finally got it done, but I dunno what happened to him after that- haven't seen him post in a dog's age.

Good luck, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Collins" <wb6otg@INTREX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:43 AM Subject: Re: rebuilt auto transmission