Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:32:05 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Diesel engine wont start
Comments: To: Anders_Ravnaas@hotmail.com
              Anders Ravnås on Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:50:42
              +0200)

Since the starter isn't cranking the engine first check if the starter gets full voltage and current.

Turn on the cabin light. Attempt to start. If cabin light dims noticably starter is getting some current. If only little dimming (ie less than when pre-glowing the glow plugs), then the solenoid in the starter doesn't close the main circuit to power the starter motor. If light goes completely dark you may have a bad connection between the starter and battery, or similar problem.

I don't know what the "bang" might be, but it's a good idea to rule out starter problems before proceeding.

People on the vanagon and/or diesel mailing lists may have more tips.

Halsingar, Martin

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Anders_Ravn=E5s?= <Anders_Ravnaas@hotmail.com> Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:50:42 +0200 Thread-Index: AcXKt5ozlaiJ2l6GSVq2J8Vk71PzMQ==

Hello=20

=20

I was wondering if I could ask you a question?

My radiator broke down here the other day, and when it did I Shut it = down immediately. The engine didn=92t overheat or anything. I got towed back = to my garage, and got a new radiator fitted. Once everything was in place, and = I was about to start up, it started fine but then stopped and I could hear some sort of a bang back from the motor room. It wasn=92t a mechanical = noise, it was more like something in the exhaust pipe or something, like an explosion. The engine went dead, and it didn=92t want to start again. = After this the fuse was gone on number 7 in the fuse box, and when I turn the = key all I can hear is a tick from the starting solenoid or something. The starter won=92t turn the engine around. I=92ve checked the battery but = that=92s alright. There=92s plenty of power.The engine is a 1.6 turbo diesel. I = was then wondering if you could have any idea of what the problem could be?

=20

Regards

=20

Anders Ravnaas