Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:45:04 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Tire Report - Summary Conclusion
Comments: To: "wetwesties@yahoogroups." <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          "Ev_Update@Yahoogroups. Com" <ev_update@yahoogroups.com>,
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com, vanagon@yahoogroups.com,
          "Vw-Camping@Yahoogroups. Com" <vw-camping@yahoogroups.com>,
          vwcc@yahoogroups.com, VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com,
          "Westfalia@yahoogroups. com" <Westfalia@yahoogroups.com>,
          syncrolist@yahoogroups.com

Volks,

Thanks for the great feedback on my tire report,

http://www.roadhaus.com/Tires/Guideline.html

It's clear there are two categories of Vanagon Owners.

Back Roads Adventurers & Pavement Pounders,

For the Back Roads Adventurers,

This remarkable vehicle was designed and built to travel where our curiosity leads us.

Around the next corner, over the next hill, along any unimproved, dusty, dirt road that might even resemble a cattle trail.

My friend Richard Jones posted two photos earlier today that are worth a thousand words.

Baja road, near nowhere!

http://jones.colorado.edu/jones/Baja/pix/roll4dx-4a.jpg

Utah-Nevada border 100 miles from nowhere:

http://jones.colorado.edu/jones/Oct2001/Oct01/roll5dx-26a.jpg

Do you really want to be unsure of your tires when you head off into the unknown?

VW spent a lot of effort figuring out proper tires that allow us to pursue our dreams.

Many dedicated enthusiasts have put a lot of effort into helping us all understand VW's conclusions.

These enthusiasts are remarkably in agreement on the major parameters for selecting a safe Vanagon.

I encourage you to read thru the fruits of their labor,

www.dualport.com/bustech/load_tires.html www.vanagon.com/info/tires/ www.concentric.net/~Sxs/Tires.shtml www.hrps.demon.nl/jwbus/T2-tires.htm www.type2.com/library/tires/t2tirefq.htm www.type2.com/rescue/tires.html www.busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp www.syncro.org/Tires.shtml http://www.roadhaus.com/Tires/Guideline.html

For the Pavement Pounders,

It's clear that everyone's idea of adventure is not the same.

To create a ride that looks good and floats along the freeways in more comfort, is very appealing.

Some of these efforts have resulted in cool pimped rides that we can all admire.

As Terry Kay (aka Robert Cardo) stated,

"If I was drag racing, I'd have a set of slicks"

"If I was ice racing I'd have a set of studded tire's"

"The majority I'd say are pavement pounder's and don't require what you suggested for hoops".

Well Terry, I don't think the majority of folks fall into your Pavement Pounders category .. But certainly some do.

For those of you in this category, the suggestion I have, please make sure your tire choices can truly handle the weight of these vehicles.

If you use passenger car tires, consider selecting ones that meet or exceed the following specs,

* XL or RF designation. * Load Range 100 * Max Load Capacity: 1604 lbs (after derated load capacity by 9%) * Max Inflation Pressure:: 40 psi

- Don't load your vehicle to capacity - Stay on those freeways and better secondary roads - Keep your speed down - Keep your air pressure at the proper level - Inspect the sidewalls frequently for early signs of failure.

Be Safe. This concludes our most recent Tire Debate.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming. larry chase www.roadhaus.com www.roadhaus.com/shops.html www.roadhaus.com/tires.html