Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:52:08 -0700
From:         Randy Bergum <organslave@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: What sander would you buy?

The best thing for general sanding is a Dual Action (DA) pneumatic sander - get a 6" disc size. I've done many a Home-Car-Boat-or-Office with this, and it reduces hand sanding of edges down to a palatable amount.

This type of sander will float with compound contours and not leave swirlies or dig in..... BUT it will not sand nicely in sharply concave areas.

Be careful when doing a fiberglass bumper - the plastic is pretty soft, and you might go into it farther than needed.

You can buy rolls of 100 discs from an auto body place, or a major supply house - McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc.

Leave the pad free to orbit as opposed to spinning, and don't be afraid to change the paper often.

These units chew through air, though....... get a big enough compressor, or wait a lot while it cycles.

That's the deal.

Randy Bergum 1990 Carat