Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Oct 2005 19:34:31 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Thanks for a great Westies at Watkins event

Fellow Volks Racers,

Just a quick note to thank everyone for coming to our 4th annual event of Westies at Watkins this last weekend. We had great fun, absolutely perfect weather and a great turn out.

Special thanks to our sponsors for the great door prizes and catalogs: GoWesty, VolksCafé, MidAmerica Motorworks, The Bus Depot, Vanagain and the BusBoys. Without their support it would have been much less rewarding for all. Additional thanks to the Central NY VW Club & Dan Stevens for the luminaries and additional door prizes.

Thanks also to Dave Shavers for providing the entertainment up until Mr. Ranger told him to turn down the amps that it may disturb the fellow campers - duh? we were all around the campfire. Thank you, to Phil Dlugolecki for creating and maintaining the LiMBO web page for this event and for making an offering to the fire gods with the bundles of wood for the evening's event and for Tom & Eric for giving in to letting us party at their campsite.

We had a record showing of 39 vehicles at the campout and 23 vans going on the race track. The track events went like clockwork this year. There were another 20+ VWs from the local VW clubs to meet the Kampers at the gate, we all ended up paying $15 each.

Although we did not acknowledge these accolades during the event, they are worthy to mention at this time:

Best Site Lighting: Dan Stevens from Syracuse, NY driving a 1980 Vanagon Best Adult Costume: Mr. & Mrs. Blackbeards - newlyweds from Vermont driving their 1984 Wolfy Westy Best Kids Costume: Dawson and Wyatt Brown, Honeoye Falls, NY for their matching T-shirts, riding in another 1984 Westy Wolfy.

Cam Grover for the coolest bike and matching helmet, riding in 87 Vanagon Westy from Ithaca, NY. Greatest Distance Traveled:

First place- Hans & Rita Hinz from Nova Scotia traveling 1000 miles in their 97 Eurovan. 2nd place - Richard Kubish from Chicago traveling 675 miles in his 91 Vanagon Carat. 3rd Place - Bill Bruce traveling 500 miles from Portland Maine in his Vanagon 1.6 TD Joker.

Coolest conversions:

First Place – Joe Federici with his 2.5 Ltr. Subaru powered Syncro Adventurewagen.

2nd place - Dan Stevens with is 1980 ASI Riviera powered by a Quantum 1.9 Turbo Diesel.

Best bumper Stickers: Karl Mullendore from Maryland in his TDI powered Syncro Westy Most Subaru powered vans: 2.2 Ltr. Engine: 4 Vanagons 2.5 Ltr. Engine 2 Vanagons 3.3 Ltr. H6 – only in our dreams

Most Syncro vans: 6 Vanagons Most Diesel powered vans: 5 Turbo powered vans (EV and Vanagons) Most likely to sneak a 4th lap on the race track around the pace car: Joe Federici

Fastest Dog: Ozzie, trashcan in tow - Look for organized dog races at next year’s event.

The dates for next year’s events will be the same as it has been in the past; the first weekend of October. Next year we will try to get that Woodstock camping feeling by having a group camping area and a huge field reserved. There is an enclosed pavilion with dining tables and electricity. Campers requiring electricity will be able to tap into the outlet. We should have an even stronger togetherness experience.

Please send me your pictures so we can post them. Thanks to LiMBO for hosting the web site with pictures of the event.

See some pictures at http://www.limbobus.org/

Thank you to everyone for making this weekend a success!

Joel B. Cort Western NY LiMBO representative 89 Syncro Westy Rochester NY

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.