Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:22:03 -0400
From:         Andrew <awg1011@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil pump priming?

Thanks everyone, I removed the oil filter and cooler, squirted some oil in to the pump put everything back together, removed the sparkplugs and rolled the engine over, and in about 15-20 seconds I had oil pressure.

After putting the plugs back in, it fired right up, but ran very rough and belched out black smoke, after running it several minutes, I turned it off and disconnected the O2 sensor, started it back up and it ran fairly good. So it looks like I'll have to get a new O2 sensor, but I can at least drive it around town until then.

Thanks again, Andrew

On 9/29/05, Dennis Wood <guskersthecat@yahoo.com> wrote: > > My I4 had the same problem...search for posts by Frank Grunthaler. You can > also check my site out http://my.tbaytel.net/guskers There's a section on > an Accusump pre-oiler installation...my ball peen hammer approach to the > problem. > > Another two approaches: > > Try cranking the engine (coil lead off) with the oil filter loosened or > removed. The anti-drain back valve in the filter may be impeding the flow > of oil enough to stop the prime. Have an observer there and a pan to catch > oil. > > If that doesn't work, remove the distributor (mark it first) and use a > 13mm (I'm not 100% on the size) socket and extension to drive the "key" at > the bottom of the distributor hole. This key fits into a slot on the > bottom of your distributor. Make sure there is no possibility of the > socket/extension coming off and dropping into the engine. I believe > rotation direction is clockwise. A half inch drill does a nice job for the > spinning chores. > > Please post your results. I've yet to see a definitive reason for the I4's > loss of prime at 15 degrees mount angle. > > Hope that helps. >