Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:15:57 -0400
From:         -- Dan Roberts <danielcroberts@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Platinum Cat Install suggestions

I installed mine behind the passenger seat because that location just makes the most sense. I tapped into a copper gas line, making a "T" just next to the refrigerator, under the sink. I ran a copper line under a shelf, to the floor, and exiting through a hole just at the small step going into the front area. I ran the tubing at the "V" of this step and over to the furnace. You might want to investigate using pressurized hosing. It's difficult to make the necessary turns in the copper tubing without going to far and creating kinks. I was lucky. My brother is a plumber.

I also ran the electrical line from the secondary battery to the furnace along that "v" in the step. Where the line exited the battery case, I drilled a hole in that top door, inserted a rubber thingy in the hole and then ran the wire under the carpet to the "V" and then under the carpet and over to the furnace. I was able to run #14 wire under the carpet by using an electricians "snake." You can get one at a hardware store although it may go by another name. It's a long length of spring steel held in a circle by a metal casing. It has a sort of hook on the end where you twist the wire and then cover it with electricians tape. If you haven't used one, ask about them from someone competant at a hardware store. I really like them for this sort of work.

The furnace exhaust is through the floor just next to and slightly behind the furnace. I used a hole saw to make the opening through the floor. I caulked the exit pipe with a flexible caulking but I'm not remembering just what it was.

I put the thermostat in the wrong place. I put it just above and behind the driver's seat but this does not work well. Because this furnace produces radiant heat, most of its effect is in front of it so I recommend placing the thermostat on the exterior closet wall. You can run the wire back under the carpet, along the "v" of the step, under the sink, behind the refrigerator, through the storage cabinets and to the closet wall. Another route would be above the sliding door, then over to the closet but I think that will involve more dismanteling.

If you have cold weather I would expect this furnace to use about a gallon per day. I use mine to warm the cabin while I'm up and set it very low when I'm sleeping. I have also insulated my doors and floor with a material that is pockets of air inclosed in plastic and covered by two layers of aluminum. You will find it in four foot and two foot wide rolls at large hardware stores. It helps but don't expect it to make a huge difference. If your cabin top is up and open, that is a very large and unsulated exposed area.

I have heard of another approach which involves using this insulation material to create a temporary "roof" between the first and second floor. Install it before going to bed and put it in the back of the second floor when not in use. I think I will make one for myself.

Someone gave me a wood frame for the furnace but it's very simple. Basically, it is just two sides made of plywood (about 4" across and abpit 2-3" higher than the furnace")with a floor and with the furnace held in the middle with wood screws. Not real classy but functional. I used only two wood screws to secure it to the floor because I want to be able to remove it in the summer if I need the space.

I suggest placing the furnace at an angle slightly away from the sliding door, behind the passendger seat and near the battery wall. This position allows someone to still sit in the passenger seat when it's turned around.

"So I would love to get any suggestions for installing it. It sounds like most people install it behind the passenger seat. Any other locations? Any suggestions/diagrams for building the cabinet for it? Vent/power/gas line routing?"